Wednesday, February 28, 2007

PROPER ENGLISH IS, LIKE, TOTALLY AWESOME

From: What is the most annoying phrase in the English language? (The Telegraph, February 23rd, 2007)

Here are many dozens of contributions (I almost wrote “literally dozens”) from Telegraph readers on the solecisms and popular gobbledegook that raise their blood pressures. Most are indeed abominations, but the more I read the more I cringed at recognizing my habitual reliance on no small number of them. It proves once again how it is nearly impossible to master this rich, vibrant language made for curmudgeons.

9 comments:

monix said...

In 1878 Disraeli described Gladstone as: "a sophistical rhetorician, inebriated with the exuberance of his own verbosity" I think the modern equivalent would be 'he has verbal diarrhoea'. It doesn't have quite the same ring to it, does it?

Lord Grattan said...

Phrases such as...
"Mary Smith will CHAIR the meeting."
"John Jones is the CHAIR of the committee."
"Are you CHAIRING this committee?

words like...
phat, xtrime, thru.

Qausi-esoteric acronyms such as...
IMO, LE, LMAO, ITA.

Brit said...

When confronted with any Bad Thing, you must claim that it is: "a sad indictment of our society".

Unknown said...

"My name is Todd, and I'll be your server this evening."
"I categorically deny..."
"I'm doing fine, how about yourself?"
"I want to make a difference."
"Clean up this mess, you lazy bastard!"

Oroborous said...

Hear that last one a lot, do you ?

Unknown said...

Yeah, don't you?

Lord Grattan said...

Telemarketers and customer service representatives who ask "how are you today"...like they really care. I almost punched someone once when they said "I feel your pain."

Hey Skipper said...

faith tradition

people of color

erp said...

Press or say one for English.