Monday, January 22, 2007

MOVE OVER, PUCCINI

From: What a song and dance (Emma Brockes, The Guardian, January 20th, 2007)

Emma Brockes spent her early life pretending to enjoy the music her contemporaries approved of, while secretly indulging her passion for the likes of Oklahoma! And then she thought, where's the shame? Musicals hold the key to more or less everything

"It's funny. When people don't like metal or jazz or pop or classical music, or when they don't like westerns or sci-fi movies, they are content, generally, to confine their dislike to avoiding them. When people don't like musicals, they feel a need not only to tell you about it, but to convince you of why you shouldn't like them either. Musicals, so their reasoning goes, are for people who are too thick for opera and too square for pop music. They are for people from the sticks, who twice yearly put on evening dress and migrate en masse to the major capitals of the world where they enjoy themselves by watching things they have seen before at twice the price they paid last time. They are for the sorts of people who, even though their coach will be waiting outside the theatre after the show, still take their umbrellas."


Don’t worry, I promise not to link you to anything from The Sound of Music.

Last month, Think of England posted on Desert Islands Discs, which led to an interesting discussion on musical tastes. Perhaps it was just me, but I sensed a vague discomfort with any mention of songs from musicals. As I am as big a fan as Ms Brockes, it awakened my longstanding puzzlement as to why musicals seem to be the only genre that one is supposed to be both embarrassed to admit liking and embarrassed to hear someone else admit liking them. It seems all other types can be loved proudly or hated defiantly, but musicals are like an old-fashioned family secret, to be listened to alone and only after dark with the curtains closed.

Pondering this enigma in the past few weeks, it dawned on me that the reasons so many “bright” people disdain musicals are similar to why they disdain America, and that the anti-musical animus parallels political and social anti-Americanism quite closely. After all, musicals are pretty much an American invention and they are definitely an American specialty. Like Americans, they are associated with a general spirit of light and literal optimism, technical brilliance and a “can-do” mastery of presentation, which offends sophisticated, gloomy continentals who seem to equate profundity with sombre backdrops and deep and haunted lives that end in suicide. Confusing optimism with naivite , they assume that the veneer of light-heartedness is all there is. Wrong. American optimism is a conviction, not a disability, and both they and their music are no strangers to the darker side of life.

And just what is wrong with artistic expressions of hope and optimism? Only a professional curmudgeon could fight off an involuntary ear-to-ear grin at this piece from Hello Dolly, here sung well, but indifferently danced, in an amateur production. (You should see what a Broadway choreographer can do with it.). Broadway sunshine combined with unsurpassed talent can turn a dark scene from the classics into pure hum-along charm. It can take a big pile of silliness and combine it with raw talent to to craft wistful nostalgia. It can deal with sensitive issues of racial etiquette while forcing our spirits into the stratosphere and filling our heads with a melody it takes days to shake. Sometimes, unparalleled musical, lyrical and artistic excellence can all come together to create even an animated masterpiece.

The slander, of course, is that is all there is. Not at all. The lightness is often just the mise-en-scene and counterpoint for the exploration of darker, more contemplative themes. Want no-holds-barred political protest? Biting, surreal social satire? How about a bittersweet reflection on life’s poignancy or a near-sacred ode to its eternal riddles? Broadway has churned out endless numbers of odes to happy-ending love, but also hauntingly beautiful expressions of the painful, doomed version. In one short song, a musical can convey more about the allure of decadence or the beauty of evil than a thousand philosophical tracts.

And then there are moments that just simply defy categorization.

I could go on and on and try to prove to any lingering doubters among you that musicals do indeed say everything there is to be said about life, but I’m just too darned caught up in the music, and it’s almost show time. Oh and, sorry, but I’m just having far too much fun to be held to my promise. So, Harry, this one’s for you.

10 comments:

erp said...

Wonderful post. Great music and inspired lyrics.

Unknown said...

which offends sophisticated, gloomy continentals who seem to prefer portrayals of deep and haunted lives that end in suicide.

That's why I like Shakespeare so much. I could never drag my wife to it so I went alone, byt she managed to drag me to musicals all the time, which I generally enjoyed, except for Joseph and the Dreamcoat, with Donny Osmond.

I've seen Showboat with Chloris Leachman and Ned Beatty, and Dan Tullis singing "Old Man River" (he was Officer Dan from "Married wiht Children", one of my all time favorite shows.) I've seen Man of La Mancha with Richard Kiley, and regional theater productions of Guys & Dolls and State Fair.

Some of my favorite show tunes: "Maria" from West Side Story, "Try to Remember" from the Fantasticks.

But some of the overly-saccarine or corny stuff does turn me off. I can't stand Grease. Never liked Oklahoma. Couldn't stand A Chorus Line.

However, I did memorize the lyrics to every song from Jesus Christ Superstar when I was a teen.

Peter Burnet said...

Duck:

Oklahoma straddles the line between the great and the nauseously sugary. I wanted to link "Many a New Day", which has wonderful lyrics, but no dice. The Surrey with the Fringe on Top is pretty good, as is "People Will Say We're in Love", but the rest is so stylized and so much cotton candy that it drowns out the good stuff.

Hey Skipper said...

Musicals have the same attraction for me that opera does -- which is to say, none -- for roughly the same reason: people spontaneously bursting forth in song completely shatters my suspension of disbelief.

Do not confuse that, though, with any attitude towards the "quality" of musicals.

Which used to be a fairly regular staple of Hollywood, but are no longer. Why is that?

Was Rocky Horror Picture Show the last musical put to the screen?

Brit said...

Yes, as erp says - a wonderful post... but what on earth will Shropshire say? It really is as camp as Christmas...

I have the same problem with most musicals as Skipper: people bursting spontaneously into song. Interestingly, opera doesn't pose the same problem because the words aren’t in English. That's crucial. So because I can't understand exactly what the arias mean, merely the gist of the sentiment, opera sits in a unique place: a kind of humanised music unfiltered by language. I feel sorry for the Italians, who have to hear all that stuff literally.

The other problem is that when I hear the word "musical" I automatically think not of Hollywood classics but of Andrew Lloyd Webber. I now find all of his work almost unbearable with the one striking exception of this lovely song.

I also can't tolerate dance routines that go on and on and on. I’m still tortured by the memory of the Portobello Road scene in Bedknobs and Broomsticks, which lasts for approximately seven weeks.

Having said all that, I don’t hate them all by any means. West Side Story is great. 'Somewhere' definitely hits the right buttons.

(Skipper: Rocky Horror was just the last really good one. Moulin Rouge, Evita, Phantom of the Opera...)

Lord Grattan said...

The rock bottom of musicals was a few years ago when they made the Titanic into a musical!

Since Hollywood is always teling us that the movies simply mirror real life, I must assume that somewhere people do frequently break into song on beautiful mornings, when scared or when having to take yucky medicine. Our kids love to watch musicals on DVD and cassette tape.

They do hate it when they ask me to tell them a story and I start repeating the opening dialogue from "Beverly hilbillies", "Green Acres", "Addams Family" and "Gilligan's Island".

Brit said...

Lord G:

People spontaneously singing about a spoonful of sugar helping the medicine go down (the medicine go doooown) required far less suspension of disbelief than Dick Van Dyke's cockney accent.

Unknown said...

Brit,
Not for Americans.

Hey Skipper said...

Brit:

(Skipper: Rocky Horror was just the last really good one. Moulin Rouge, Evita, Phantom of the Opera...)


Which only goes to prove that I am way, way below average in terms of popular culture knowledge.

According to a post up the ladder a ways, that means I need to start taking antidepressants now.

Peter:

Never mind my attitude towards musicals, your post is yet another excellent one.

Brit said...

I like the cut of your jib. Accentuate the positive...eelim-eye-nate the negative...

Of course, I entirely contradict myself because I like Gilbert and Sullivan (in the right dose). Maybe I just dislike rubbish musicals and like good ones. Yes, that's probably it.